Monday, October 23, 2017

Crucial Conversations


I have been fascinated by the idea that you can learn to have hard conversations well, for years.  My father, an H.R. guy, first introduced me to Crucial Conversations, and I have been a fan ever since.  I confess that I have not ever finished the whole book or audio book (which I need to do soon)...but the pieces and principles I've picked up are enough to make me slightly dangerous. :-)  I am THRILLED that I will be taking the Influencer training through the Vital Smarts organization (makers of Crucial Conversations) this week...but meanwhile, they are also offering this online training that I think can help me get a good start. I've literally been saying for years that teachers are trained in curriculum, differentiation, assessment, and even trauma--but never in effective communication on behalf of children and in concert with stakeholders.  Teaching is a fabulous world! There are aha moments, breakthroughs, community-building, learning and innovation, self-esteem building and collective victories to revel in.  But there are also challenges-- lots of self-interest, teacher conflict, adult self-preservation, parent denial, lawmaker cluelessness and student apathy to wade through! I want to know to wade through the hard stuff in respect, partnership and camaradeire.  I want to know how to do it well.  I'm convinced that Crucial Conversations can help!

https://vitalsmartsausnz.lpages.co/education-webinar-october2017/


0 comments:

Post a Comment